Early this morning, Adobe announced the next version of Acrobat. This is version 10 so the product is appropriately titled Acrobat X. For the record, Adobe has repackaged/renamed the products surrounding Acrobat to the Free Adobe Reader X, Acrobat X Standard, Acrobat X Pro, and Acrobat X Suite. For a detailed look at the difference between these products, visit the Product Comparison page on Adobe’s website. Here’s an overview about what’s new in version 10:
Acrobat X Features
- Automate routine, multi-step tasks with new guided Actions and easily share them with coworkers and collaborators, reducing the burden of training.
- Change how users view, think and interact with content and its context with PDF Portfolios using new layouts, visual themes and color palettes.
- Maximize the power of Adobe Photoshop® and Adobe Acrobat to easily create dynamic communications with the new Acrobat X Suite. Quickly capture, edit and combine digital content right from the desktop.
- Increase productivity across the organization with new Microsoft® SharePoint integration. Check-in, check-out PDF files for reviewing and editing shared documents.
- Streamline the process for large organizations to deploy, configure and manage updates and conform to ISO standards, in both Adobe Reader X and Acrobat X, including support for Microsoft SCCM and SCUP.
- Display the most commonly used tools all in one pane with the updated user interface.
For those using Adobe Reader X
- Commenting is now available in Adobe Reader X, with Sticky Notes and Highlighter tools available to all users.
- Expands PDF access to mobile devices with free Adobe Reader X for Android, Windows® Phone 7 and Blackberry Tablet OS.
- Safer viewing of PDF files with new Protected Mode security capabilities in Reader X.
New Services via Acrobat.com
- Adobe SendNow, a valuable new document exchange service at Acrobat.com, enables users to send and receive large files and track them with proof of receipt, avoiding e-mail gateway issues, complicated FTP servers, or the costs of expensive overnight mail.
- Adobe CreatePDF for easily converting files to professional PDF documents from within Adobe Reader X or any Web browser.
Currently, you can only preorder Acrobat X. Preorders receive free shipping through November 30th so you’d expect it to be available sometime around then.